Will Robins and his wife, Amanda, were on their honeymoon sitting in the lobby of a hotel on the island of Ko Phi Phi Don discussing what they wanted to do that day, not knowing that in a few seconds they were going to be hit with a 75-mph tsunami towering over 30 feet high. Robins and his wife were convinced that this was it, these were the last moments of their life…until Will decided to fight.
We are not promised tomorrow. Robins learned that anything can happen and as people start to observe more of the “what if’s” in life, we open ourselves up to the idea that our days are numbered and all we do is the best we can each day. “It’s only once you fully let go that you can actually make any change.” We are all deathly afraid of letting go and surrendering to our everyday circumstances because we enjoy being in control. Control is overrated. We live in a world where we are always seeking control and stability because we are most comfortable in a zone of predictability. However, it’s not until you reach a point of acceptance where you are truly willing to accept the outcome, no matter what it is, that you line yourself up to the path to success.
A good majority of people in this world have been told that their thoughts run their life, however, our thoughts don’t have any power behind them until we attach belief to them. Robins talks about some of the ways he teaches golf players to surrender by telling them to quit at the game entirely. “By saying “I’m going to quit,” shows the game means something to you.” Our thoughts create our emotion by attaching belief to them.
In this episode:
- Robins talks about his near-death experience from surviving an earthquake tsunami in 2004 by the Indian Ocean
- McCabe and Robins discuss the psychology that goes into a near-death experience
- Robins explains his philosophy behind the “second ball golfer.”
- McCabe discusses some ideas pulled from the book “Performing Under Pressure”.
- McCabe discusses previous podcast guest, Timothy Alexander (LINK BELOW) and his outlook on life
- Robins and McCabe discuss the path to establish a belief and the power it holds
- Download The Gameplan Infographic here!
For more information on Will Robins and his teaching philosophies, visit:
We hope you enjoy this episode as much as we enjoyed recording it!
For more information on The MindSide: Sports and Performance Psychology, please visit: www.themindside.com